US 41 Roundabouts from 10th Street to 14th Street in Sarasota County
RoadWatch Update for the Week of Sunday, July 5, 2020
US 41 Roundabouts at 10th Street and 14th Street, Sarasota: Construction Project:
Crews continue work within the right-of-way, medians and driveways.
- Daytime lane closures are expected throughout the project limits.
- Curb installation in the median area and 14th Street and 10th Street roundabouts is expected throughout the week. Work is scheduled during the daytime. Please be cautious of construction vehicles, concrete trucks, pickup trucks and crews working close to travel lanes and entering and leaving the travel lanes.
- Truck aprons are scheduled to be installed at 10th Street and 14th Street roundabouts Wednesday, July 7th and Thursday, July 8th, during nighttime/overnight. Traffic going through the roundabouts will be impacted, with some of the movements being restricted and traffic detoured.
- Irrigation pipe installation in the median is expected to continue throughout the week.
- Drainage pipe installation is expected to continue on 10th Street between US 41 and Cocoanut Avenue. Expect noise from construction equipment and trucks entering and leaving the travel lanes. Impacts to The Jefferson Center driveway are expected during the installation. Ingress and egress to the parking area will be coordinated with the building management.
- Asphalt paving will occur throughout the week along median areas and 13th Street. Work is scheduled during the daytime. Please be cautious of construction vehicles, asphalt trucks and crews going in and out of the medians. Lane closures will be present during this work.
- Traffic signals on US 41 at 10th Street and 14th St have been removed, and motorists shall follow roundabout signage and driving conditions.
- Sidewalk on the west side and east side of US 41 between 10th Street and 14th Street are open for public access. Pedestrians are advised to use the designated sidewalks and crosswalks. Intermittent sidewalk closures are expected as crews work in the areas.
- Installation of conduit, poles, signalization cabinets and streetlighting throughout the project corridor. Be cautious of equipment, bucket trucks and crews working next to the roadway.
Speed limit is reduced to 30 mph. Speeding fines are doubled in the construction area when workers are present.
Motorists are urged to use caution and watch for trucks and other construction equipment within the work zone.
Expect noise from excavators, vibration from rollers, back up alarms, trucks, and construction vehicles throughout the project corridor.
Work is expected during daytime hours, but some activities will require weekend and nighttime work.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of reconstructing the signalized intersections and replacing them with roundabouts, enhancing connectivity, circulation and safety. US 41 will be widened between the two intersections and will include bike lanes as well as dedicated turn lanes, a 10-foot sidewalk along the west side, and a 6-foot sidewalk along the east side. Other improvements include raised islands for pedestrian refuge at the intersections of US 41 at 10th Street and 14th Street, pedestrian signals, LED street lights, landscaping, and City of Sarasota utility and underground drainage structure replacements. Expected completion is spring 2020. The contractor is IBT Construction LLC.
If you would like a copy of FDOT’s Weekly RoadWatch for all Southwest Florida active construction projects, including Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Glades, Hardee, Hendry, Highlands, Lee, Manatee, Okeechobee, Polk and Sarasota Counties, visit here.