435105-1 Taylor Road Shared Use Path from Royal Road to Airport Road
|Work Type:||Bike Path|
|Limits:||From Royal Road to Airport Road|
Two design segments were planned for this project. Design Segment 1 will be Taylor Road from Jones Loop Road to Airport Road. Design Segment 2 will be Taylor Road from Royal Road to Jones Loop Road. Alternatives will evaluate new or widened crossings at Alligator Creek Bridge and North Fork Alligator Creek Bridge Culvert. The communities near the shared use path will gain access to the growing regional network of multi-modal facilities. The proposed project is in keeping with stated goals of Charlotte County to create an effective multi-modal transportation system, which includes county-wide bicycle and pedestrian facilities.
Additional right-of-way is not anticipated to accommodate the proposed project improvements in Segment 1. However, additional right-of-way is anticipated to accommodate the proposed project improvements in Segment 2.
Need for the Project
The purpose of the Taylor Road shared use path project is to provide a safe, viable non-motorized travel option for commuters and recreational users in the Taylor Road corridor and its surrounding community. Within the project limits, non-motorized transportation infrastructure is restricted. While sidewalks are occasionally present along the roadway, they are not fully connected throughout the entire corridor. The need for the proposed shared use path project is based on the following criteria:
- Area Wide Network / System Linkage: Improve bicycle and pedestrian mobility
- Safety Conditions: Enhance safety along the corridor
- Social and Economic Demand: Improve bicycle and pedestrian accessibility
Overall, the goals of the proposed improvements are to:
- Improve safety for bicyclists and pedestrians, which are particularly vulnerable to conflicts with vehicles on shared facilities, by providing a pathway separated from general traffic
- Link together Punta Gorda's neighborhoods with the region's bicycle and pedestrian attractors, parks and recreational facilities, and conservation lands in the area
Segment 1 is funded for final design in fiscal year 2024. Segment 2 is not yet funded for final design. Neither segment is funded for construction at this time.
|For Media Inquiries Only|