The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), District One, is designing improvements to State Road (SR) 33 (Lakeland Hills Blvd.) in Polk County. This Complete Streets project entails complete reconstruction of the roadway and drainage system from Parkview Place to north of Granada Street in Lakeland.
The proposed roadway includes four travel lanes with curb and gutter on the outside and a 12-foot raised median from Parkview Place to north of Miami Street. The proposed roadway from north of Miami Street to north of Granada Street will maintain four travel lanes with a continuous 12-foot-wide bi-directional left turn lane. Additional safety enhancements include:
- Constructing a mid-block pedestrian crossing with Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacon (RRFB) south of Channing Road
- Constructing a mid-block pedestrian crossing with Pedestrian Hybrid Beacon (PHB) north of Swannanoa Street
- Replacing existing 5-foot sidewalks with 8-foot sidewalks
- Modifying existing driveways to reflect current standards
- Upgrading Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) ramps and pedestrian signals
- Upgrading existing lighting at signalized intersections
- Providing street lighting on both sides of the roadway between Parkview Place and Granada Street
- Storm sewer system replacement
- Upgrading traffic signal equipment to LED
FDOT held a public meeting (online and in-person) on Tuesday, October 18, 2022, to present project information and provide an opportunity for the public to offer feedback. Although the meeting comment period is officially closed, copies of the public meeting materials are available for viewing in the Project Documents section. A copy of the public meeting video presentation is available for viewing in the Project Videos section.
FDOT solicits public participation without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, or family status.