444640-1 US 41 (SR 45) from south of Hickory Drive to Emerson Square Boulevard
Update as of May 2023:
The Florida Department of Transportation will begin work in March 2023 to mill and resurface US 41 from south of Hickory Drive to Emerson Square Boulevard in Lee County. Additional improvements include modifying the medians at the following intersections: Hickory Drive, San Carlos Boulevard, Shadow Creek Boulevard, and Harborage Drive. The construction will take place Monday through Friday during daytime and nighttime hours. Lane closures will occur during nighttime hours from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), District One, proposed a multi-faceted project to resurface, restore and rehabilitate (RRR), to improve safety, and to enhance multi-modal travel on US 41 (SR 45) from south of Hickory Drive to Emerson Square Boulevard in Lee County, Florida. The proposed project design will convert an existing two-way directional median at San Carlos Boulevard into a signalized intersection and will convert the full median opening at Hickory Drive and Emerson Square Boulevard into two-way directional median openings. Additional improvements include upgrading existing signalized intersections, enhancing pedestrian lighting at signalized intersections, upgrading ramps with detectable warning systems to meet Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements, and providing bicycle keyholes by widening existing right turn lanes.
Background: The project limits on US 41 (SR 45) from south of Hickory Drive (MP 10.234) to Emerson Square Boulevard (MP 12.5.10) are approximately 2.3 miles in length.
Current conditions: Within the study US 41 is a six-lane roadway divided by a raised, grassed median. The posted speed limit is 50 miles per hour (mph). Intersections at Constitution Boulevard and at Sanibel Boulevard are signalized. Five-foot-wide sidewalks run adjacent to the road within the right-of-way.
A LeeTran route runs the length of the corridor; three of the 10 bus stops on this route have boarding and alighting pads.
Design conditions: The design proposes the following improvements to reduce conflict points, better accommodate multimodal travel and meet the needs of persons with disabilities.
- The existing signalized intersections will be upgraded to current standards and will incorporate enhanced pedestrian lighting.
- The two-way directional median opening at San Carlos Boulevard will be converted to a signalized intersection.
- The full median opening at Hickory Drive and at Emerson Square Boulevard will be converted to two-way directional openings, allowing left turns from US 41 onto Hickory Drive and Emerson Square Boulevard. Vehicles entering US 41 from Hickory Drive or Emerson Square Boulevard will be limited to right turn movements.
- Bicycle keyholes will be provided at existing right-turn lanes; sidewalk facilities and curb and gutter will be improved.
- Ramps with Americans with Disabilities (ADA) detectable warning systems will be installed.
- Guardrail and drainage modifications will also be address
The Florida Department of Transportation District One invited the public to a hearing on Thursday, August 19, 2021. The Public Hearing is about proposed safety improvements on US 41 (S. Tamiami Trail) in Fort Myers, Lee County (Financial Project Identification Number 444640-1). The project limits begin south of Hickory Drive and continue north to Emerson Square Boulevard. The hearing presented information and collected input on the project design.
A 5:30 p.m. Open House allowed in-person attendees to view project exhibits and speak with FDOT staff.
- Participate in person at the Estero Recreation Center, 9200 Corkscrew Palms Boulevard, Estero, Florida, 33928. All in-person attendees should follow Centers for Disease Control safety measures.
- Participate online using an electronic device such as a computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- Participate over the phone by requesting the presentation slides at least seven (7) days in advance of the event. Dial 1-877-309-2074 and code 204-115-059 upon the start of the event. This will enable over-the-phone attendees to review the slides while listening to the presentation.
- Participate after the event by viewing a recording of the public hearing presentation and public comments, and project exhibits.
Advance registration allowed the project team to anticipate social distancing needs. It was also an opportunity to discuss participation options and concerns. Attendees could also register for online participation at https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5879255115638029837.
|Design Project Manager|
Sean Pugh, P.E.
|For Media Inquiries Only|