The purpose of this project is to improve safety in and around the US 17 and Spirit Lake Road intersection in Bartow.
Project Improvements Include:
- Reconstructing the existing asphalt intersection with rigid concrete pavement at US 17 and Spirit Lake Road
- Resurfacing the remaining asphalt portions of the roadway from south of Gate Road to north of Transport Road
- Adding LED lighting and new signal equipment at both Spirit Lake Road and Bomber Road
- Close an existing median opening north of Bomber Road
- Extending the northbound right turn lane and southbound left turn lane on US 17 at both Bomber Road and Transport Road
- Extending the southbound right turn lane on Spirit Lake Road
- Adding sidewalk to connect the Bartow Municipal Airport entrance with Bomber Road
- Adding transit pads on both side of US 17 at the bus stops near Gate Road and Bomber Road
- Adding high visibility crosswalks at Bomber Road connecting the park and ride lot with the bus stop across US 17
A public hearing was held on Tuesday, November 17,2020 with both a face-to-face meeting and a virtual component with public comments gathered through December 4, 2020 becoming part of the public hearing record. More information about the public involvement for this project can be found under Project Documents.