|US 17 at SR 540, SR 540 from US 17 to 1st Street South and 1st Street South from SR 540 to Post Avenue
|Start of Current Phase:
|Est. Completion of Current Phase:
The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) began an intersection improvement and safety project on SR 540 at US 17 and SR 540 at 1st Street South in Winter Haven, Florida in April 2023. The project consists of adding turn lanes, making median improvements, paving, updating signals, and improving lighting.
- Add a second dedicated left turn lane from westbound Cypress Gardens Boulevard to southbound US 17
- Add a second right turn lane from northbound US 17 to eastbound Cypress Gardens Boulevard
- Lengthen the left turn lane from eastbound Cypress Gardens Boulevard onto northbound 1st Street South
- Widen and restripe southbound 1st Street to include a right turn lane, through lane and two left turn lanes
- Replace the temporary traffic separators with concrete traffic separators on US 17 and Cypress Gardens Boulevard
- Add a new traffic separator on 1st Street South at Post Avenue
- Improve the crosswalk striping and add pedestrian countdown signals
- Upgrade signal equipment and replace street lighting with LED lights
- Mill and resurface the roadway within the project limits
The Florida Department of Transportation District One hosted a construction open house at the AdventHealth Field House and Conference Center on Tuesday, February 28, 2023 for anyone interested in viewing project exhibits or speaking with FDOT and consultant staff about the project. This was an open house type meeting, so no formal presentation was made.
If you are interested in viewing the project boards that were on display at the open house, you can find them in the documents section of this website.